Friday, June 03, 2005

The Jacko Paradox

It's a common enough observation that while Michael Jackson has sold something like seven gazillion records, it's hard to find someone who will actually admit to liking him. Obviously somebody likes him enough to buy all those records, but I sure don't, never did, and not only do I not know anyone who does, but I'm pretty sure they're telling me the truth when they say so.

So what I wonder is, by the same token - coverage of the Michael Jackson trial has been all over the news. Even the BBC can't shut up about it, for pity's sake. And yet... do I actually know anyone who cares about the outcome of the trial? Like, at all? Not that I know of. And yet, somebody must care, right, to justify all that news coverage? What is it with Michael?

No comments: