Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Most Unpleasant Thing Seen Today

There's a men's homeless shelter near the hospital where I work and there are invariably a few ragged-looking guys loitering on the sidewalk outside, pretty much any time of day. This is unnerving when I'm walking home late at night, but I've never had a peep of trouble so I don't think much about it any more. Tonight, though, there was a guy standing on the sidewalk swearing, screaming his head off at a couple of cops who were out of their cruiser, parked nearby. The most unpleasant thing about it was that while he was standing there verbally abusing them with everything he had, the two cops just kind of stood there passively, taking it all in and not getting mad or anything. I've heard homeless people complain about being ignored, but I didn't realize just how hard it must be to get anybody to pay attention to you.

No comments: