Thursday, February 23, 2006

Today Might Be the Day

... that I became a for-real New Yorker. Know why? Because today, when I got on the subway, and it was crowded, but there was room in the middle if only people would just move a little bit and make way for people getting on the train, only they never do, they just stand there as if there weren't more people trying to get on the train... I just pushed. I didn't say "excuse me," I didn't give any apologetic looks, and I didn't even look to see if there was a clear route into an open space like I usually do. I just saw these people standing in my way like the cattle we all are on the subway, and I walked right into them and kept walking until I could fit in the train, even if it meant pushing little old ladies and mothers with strollers out of my damned way.

And I didn't feel one spot of guilt about it for the rest of the ride.

No comments: